What is Oral Pathology?
Oral and maxillofacial pathology is the specialty which deals with the identification, nature, and management, of diseases affecting your oral and maxillofacial regions. Oral pathology investigates the causes, effects and processes of oral and maxillofacial diseases.
What are signs of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases?
Your gums should normally look smooth and coral pink in color. If you notice a change in this appearance, it could be an early development of a pathological process.
The most serious pathological disease is oral cancer. Here are some signs that could indicate the beginning of a pathologic process or cancer:
- White and Red patches in the mouth (see Figure 1 below).
- Sore(s) that bleed easily or fails to heal.
- Thickening or a lump on your gums inside your mouth.
- Difficulty swallowing or chewing.
- Constant sore throat or rasping.
Should I Check for Oral Pathologies?
You should check your mouth monthly and look for changes like the ones listed above. You should never ignore suspicious sores or lumps. Contact us immediately if you notice changes in and around your mouth.